Blood flow is an important factor when trying to heal a diabetic wound. If you are diabetic and have a wound, it must be properly cared for by a diabetic wound service in order to avoid gangrene that can lead to an amputation. The foods you eat can help to increase blood flow and help the wound heal quickly. Here is a guide to foods you can eat to improve blood flow and promote healing.
Ginger root has been used for many years to help maintain healthy blood pressure. This makes it ideal for diabetics to use to improve blood flow and heal wounds. There are several ways you can incorporate ginger into your diet. Here are a few:
- Ginger Tea-You can easily make ginger tea by boiling ginger root in one to two cups of water and then using honey to sweeten it. Drink ginger tea at least twice daily to improve your blood flow.
- Ginger Rice-Grate ginger root and put it into the water before you add the rice. The ginger will act as a seasoning for the rice.
- Ginger Salad Dressing- Combine finely chopped ginger with olive oil, soy sauce and any other flavorings you would like to create a salad dressing.
Garlic can be used to help reduce high blood pressure and improve blood flow to all parts of the body. This helps to promote healing of your wound. The best way to eat garlic is raw. There are several foods into which you can incorporate raw garlic to get the full benefits.
- Garlic in salsa-You can chop up garlic cloves and add them to salsa.
- Garlic butter- Add finely chopped garlic to butter and spread it onto bread.
- Garlic in mashed potatoes-Chop up a few cloves of garlic and add it to mashed potatoes.
Beet juice contains antioxidants that lower blood pressure. The nitrates in beet juice help to relax the walls in blood vessels which results in improved circulation throughout the body. Add carrot juice or apple juice to beet juice to make it a little more palatable. You can make beet juice by cutting beets into quarters and running them through a juicer. When you are through juicing the beets, you can juice carrots or apples to add to the beet juice.
Diet is one of the most important things to consider when you have a diabetic wound. Adding the right foods to your diet is an easy and effective way to promote wound healing.